Skip Navigation

Fire Marshal


The Chambers County Fire Marshal and Deputy Fire Marshal's are fully licensed Peace Officers in the State of Texas, as well as certified Arson Investigators, and Fire Inspectors.

The Chambers County Fire Marshal's Office conducts fire code plans reviews and inspections for public buildings, commercial establishments, and multi-family dwellings with four or more units in unincorporated Chambers County, and the cities of Anahuac, Beach City, Cove, and Old River-Winfree.  The current adopted fire code is International Fire Code, 2018 Edition, plus local amendments.

The Chambers County Fire Marshal's Office also performs fire and arson investigations in unincorporated Chambers County, and the cities of Anahuac, Beach City, Cove, and Old River-Winfree.


Contact Information

Phone:  (409) 267-2445

Department Email:


Meagan Kelly, Administrative Assistant

Ryan Holzaepfel, Fire Marshal

Randy Burlin, Deputy Fire Marshal

Bradley Hasley, Deputy Fire Marshal

Joe Conger, Deputy Fire Marshal

*To schedule an inspection for your permitted project, please email the main department email so the next available inspector may assist you:


Responding Fire Departments

Fire Department emergency response in Chambers County is provided at the local or city level.  Chambers County does not directly provide these services.  Each department is governed by their own board of directors or city council, respectively.  The majority of these departments are 100% volunteer based.

Permitting and Review Steps

1.  Submit construction application and plans via the online portal at  Upload your construction plans to the portal, including adequate details and information, so that your project may be reviewed.  Include the "Plans Review Information Sheet" with your plans upload (form above).

2.  Your project must be reviewed for Health/Environmental, Drainage, and Fire Code;

3.  Once approvals are complete, and appropriate fees have been paid, the permit will be issued and may be downloaded via the permitting portal.  Fees may be paid online with credit cared or in-person at the Permit Office, 201 Airport Road, Anahuac, TX.

4.  Commercial projects must be inspected by the Fire Marshal and issued a Certificate of Compliance upon completion, BEFORE the building is occupied.

Information Required to Complete Plans Reviews and Fire Permits:

Buildings and Structures

Adequate information must be included with construction plans in order to review for fire code compliance, or the review cannot be completed.  Please include the following information and details on the plans:

  1. a site plan to scale for the property including, but not limited to the following:

    1. Location of the proposed building in relation to adjacent buildings and property lines, with distances to each called out;
    2. Location of proposed fire lanes and fire apparatus access roads with distances to buildings called out;
    3. Location of existing fire hydrants and proposed fire hydrants with distances between fire hydrants and distances to buildings and fire lanes called out; and
    4. Location of fire department connection(s) in relation to the structure(s) it serves
  2. floor plan to scale for each level of the building including, but not limited to the following:

    1. Types of construction materials and class of interior finish;
    2. Location of all exits with distances between exits called out – exit width, type and any special requirement shall be stated, including fire exit hardware;
    3. Location of any fire alarm equipment, automatic sprinklers, emergency lighting, etc. required to meet this Code;
    4. Defined occupancy classification and occupancy load;
    5. North arrow, accurate legend, door and wall schedules; and
    6. Each room labeled with specific use and square footage.

If unable to determine from the information submitted whether a permit should be issued, the Fire Code Official may require the submission of additional information, drawings, specifications or documents.

Plans for construction or substantial improvement to buildings and facilities required to be designed by an architect or engineer, according to Texas statutes, shall be stamped and certified by an architect or engineer authorized to practice in the State of Texas. 

Engineer required if:

  • Single-story apartments over 8 units;
  • Apartment that exceeds 4 units AND exceeds 2 stories;
  • Building over 5,000 square feet in area;
  • Building with an unsupported span greater than 24 ft.

Architect required if:

  • Institutional or residential facility;
  • Publicly owned building of Education, Assembly or Office Occupancy and construction cost exceeding $100,000.00;
  • Publicly owned existing building of education, assembly or office occupancy and alterations exceeding $50,000.00 and requiring moving of walls, or alteration of an exit;


  • Texas Engineering Practice Act § 1001.056
  • Occupations Code §1051.703

Site Plans Only

For projects needing a site plan review that do not involve structures, please submit and application and upload the site plan to the permitting portal.

Fire Alarm, Fire Sprinkler, Vent Hood Suppression, or Other Fire Systems

These require a separate permit and review process.  Please submit them via the online permitting portal, and upload associated system drawings.

Fireworks Displays

Fireworks and pyrotechnic displays required a review, approval, and permit.  Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include associated site plans, indicating distances to the audience, buildings, and fireworks.  Please include the "Fireworks or Pyrotechnic Display Information Sheet" with your online application upload.

Fireworks Retail Sales

Fireworks retail sites, including indoor sales and fireworks stands, require review, approval, and permit.  For more information, please see:  Firework Retail Sales Regulations.

Flammable or Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks

Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include a site plan indicating distances to buildings from the tank, distances to property lines, product used, tank type, and tank identification numbers as applicable.

Hazmat Storage

Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include Hazmat Information Sheets which includes and inventory of materials stored and their quantities.  Storage layout also required.

High Piled Storage

Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include storage layout diagrams, aisle widths, square footages, heights, and types and quantities of commodities stored.

Emergency Responder Radio Coverage Systems

Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include system diagram, frequencies covered, and output power.

Access Control

Please submit via the online permitting portal, and include floor layout, lock locations, types of lock, and failsafe measures.

Request for Final Inspection

When the construction of buildings or structures are complete, please fill out the“Request for Final Inspection (As-Built Certificate)” form and upload to the permit portal.  Please note that in some cases the general contractor must complete the form, but in some cases an architect or engineer must complete and stamp the form (as noted near bottom of form).  You may email the fire marshal at when you are ready to schedule your final inspection.


If you would like to request a fire inspection related to a permitted project, please email: as the inspections are included in your permit/fees.


If you would like to request a fire inspection for an existing business, daycare, foster home, hospital, etc., please follow the below steps to apply for the inspection and pay the appropriate fee.


Here are the instructions to apply for a fire inspection:

1.       Please go to:

2.       Create a free account.

3.       On the top left, under “Permits and Licensing”, choose “Apply Online”.

4.       Choose “Chambers County” as your jurisdiction.

5.       Choose “Permit” as Project Type.

6.       When applying for a permit, choose “Fire Inspection”.


        We can then assign the fee and send an electronic invoice.  Fees may be paid online if desired.









Outdoor Burning in Texas

Outdoor burning in Texas is regulated by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).  Generally, all outdoor burning in Texas is prohibited, but certain exceptions are allowed by TCEQ (click here).  Citizens may call TCEQ 713-767-3714 to report concerns about potential illegal burning, or to inquire if their planned burn activity meets an allowed exception.  If you live within the city limits of a city in Chambers County, that city may have specific ordinances relating to outdoor burning.

Click the link below to view detailed information about outdoor burning in Texas:
TCEQ Outdoor Burning Rules


General TCEQ Requirements for Outdoor Burning in Texas:

  • Land clearing and open-burning for COMMERCIAL development typically does NOT meet a TCEQ exception to burn.  This includes clearing and burning for any purpose related to a business, subdivision development, etc.  TCEQ requires an alternative method, such as trench or air-curtain burning in these cases.  Call TCEQ at 713-767-3714 to inquire if your planned burn is allowed an exception.

  • Generally, burning of NON-COMMERCIAL land consisting of onsite vegetation and trees IS ALLOWED.

  • Under ALL circumstances, the burning must be monitored by the person conducting the burn, must not create a nuisance or traffic hazard and the burning must comply with all state laws and TCEQ rules.

Other  Requirements for Outdoor Burning

  • Burning is NOT permitted during a County burn ban (issued during dry periods).

  • Do not burn electrical insulation, treated lumber, plastics, non-wood construction/ demolition materials, heavy oils, asphaltic materials, potentially explosive materials, chemical wastes and items containing natural or synthetic rubber.

  • Chambers County does not require or issue permits for outdoor burning, however we do welcome prior notification for any planned, outdoor burning which meet the requirements as set forth as described above.  This will help prevent false fire department dispatch.  Notification can be made to the Chambers County Fire Marshal's Office at 409-267-2445 (M-F, 8-5), via email at, or to the Chambers County Dispatch Center at 409-267-2500 24/7.


How to Report Illegal Burning

  • To report burning which does does not fit an exception as described above, (for example: a commercial site being cleared) contact the Texas Commission for Environmental Quality (TCEQ) Region 12 office at 713-767-3714.  TCEQ listens to citizen complaints.

  • TCEQ Environmental Compliant Hotline 1-888-777-3186.   You may also submit a complaint via the online form on the agency website:

  • If the burning is causing an immediate danger, call Chambers County Dispatch at 911 or 409-267-2500.  This is especially important if the burn is causing a severe impact to homes and neighborhoods.  If you need to report a true emergency, please call 911.

  • If you would like to report suspected illegal burning, but it is not an emergency or posing a danger, you may call the Chambers County Fire Marshal's Office at 409-267-2445 (M-F, 8-5) or email at


Other Resources

Consumer Fireworks Use

Consumer fireworks are legal in unincorporated areas of Chambers County, unless prohibited by a County Judge's Order pursuant to a declared drought or other emergency situation.

  • Check laws of local jurisdictions concerning fireworks.  Currently, the cities of Anahuac, Baytown, Mont Belvieu, and Old River-Winfree have ordinances prohibiting fireworks sales or use within their city limits.

Fireworks Stand/Retail Sales

A permit is required from the state in order to operate a fireworks stand or retail fireworks sales site.

                   Link to TDI for more information:

                  Phone: 512-676-6800 (press 51) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.

A "Fireworks - Retail Sales" permit and seasonal inspection by Chambers County Fire Marshal's Office is also required to operate a fireworks stand or retail site. Instructions for fireworks retail sales sites.

Fireworks or Pyrotechnic Display Permits

A permit is required from Chambers County to conduct a fireworks or pyrotechnics display of Fireworks 1.3G, or a display of Fireworks 1.3G or 1.4G before a proximate audience.  Permit applications may be submitted via


Other Fireworks Resources

Volunteer Fire Departments
Chambers County does not directly provide these services however, the county does contract with and provide funding to the individual Fire and EMS Departments. The majority of these departments are 100% volunteer based with the exception of EMS Departments which do have some paid coverage.
Press ENTER key to focus on the active panel

Copyright © 2018 All rights reserved.

powered by ezTaskTitanium TM