Skip Navigation

Justices of the Peace

  • Precinct 1
    211 Broadway Ave.
    Mailing: PO Box 332
    Winnie, Texas 77665

    Phone:  409-296-8247 
    Fax:       409-296-8651 


    Janet Vayon, Chief Clerk
    Melissa Cormier, Clerk
    Yvette Sonnier, Clerk

  • Precinct 2 
    300 Cummings Street
    Mailing: PO Box 971
    Anahuac, Texas 77514

    Phone:  409-267-2519
    Fax:       409-267-3120

    Marci Van Deventer, Chief Clerk 
    Vickie Jo Sanchez, Clerk
    Taylor Wilcox, Clerk

  • Precinct 3
    9310 FM 562
    Mailing: PO Box 971
    Anahuac, Texas 77514 

    Phone:  409-267-2519
    Fax:       409-267-3120
    Marci Van Deventer, Chief Clerk
  • Precinct 4
    10616 Eagle Drive
    Mailing: PO Box 827
    Mont Belvieu, Texas 77580

    Phone:  281-383-3197
    Fax:       281-385-2158

    Vicky Page, Chief Clerk 
    Jimmie Wheeler, Clerk

  • Precinct 5
    524 No. 9 Road
    Mailing: PO Box 2
    Wallisville, Texas 77597

    Phone:  409-267-2561
    Fax:       409-389-2411


    Autumn Poole, Chief Clerk
    Maria Diaz, Clerk
    Shelby Morgan, Clerk

  • Precinct 6
    7711 Highway 146
    Baytown, Texas 77523

    Phone:  409-267-2570 
    Fax:       281-573-1823

    Tammy Jenkins, Chief Clerk
    Julene Losier, Clerk
    Roma Fechner, Clerk
Criminal & Traffic Cases: 

         SEARCH and PAY cases, click here:   

Self-Represented Litigants:
  • Texas Court Help Videos and other information in English and Spanish about going through the court system, including information about how to find a lawyer, where to find forms, and how to get ready for court.
  • Texas Law Help - Information about different areas of the law for people who are handling their own simple civil legal matter.
  • Texas State Law Library Consumer & Self-Help Information - The State Law Library web site has Self-Help information, forms and links.
  • Texas Justice Court Training Center - This web site has information, forms and links for self-represented litigants.
  • Lone Star Legal Aid Provides Free Advocacy, legal representation and community education.
    Lone Star Legal Aid: Information Flyer
  • Justice Court (500) Rules

  • Important - It is always best to have a lawyer.  The law and court proceedings are complicated, and lawyers have legal training.  A lawyer can help you understand your rights and options and help get the best result possible in your case.  Sometimes even simple matters can have consequences that you are not aware of or do not understand.

    Self-Represented Information Packets:
         *A party filing a lawsuit is referred to as Plaintiff
         *A party being sued is referred to as Defendant

    Small Claims Plaintiff:    Filing a Small Claims case
    Small Claims Defendant:   A Small Claims case has been filed against you

    Eviction Plaintiff:    Filing an Eviction case

    Eviction Defendant:    An Eviction case has been filed against you

    Debt Claim Defendant:   A Debt Claims case has been filed against you

    Occupational Driver's License (ODL):

    When a person's driver's license or privilege is suspended, that person can qualify under certain circumstances for a special license, call an occupational driver's license (ODL), that allows them to drive with specific restrictions during the period of suspension.

    If the driver's license has not been suspended, then the person is not eligible for an ODL.  If the driver's license was suspended because of a DWI conviction, a Justice of the Peace cannot issue an ODL, the person has to apply with the court where they were convicted.

    Application:  An application must be filed in a justice, county, or district court in the precinct or county in which (1) the person resides; or (2) the offense occurred for which the license was suspended.  The petition describes in detail the applicant's essential need for an occupational driver's license. 

    Filing fee: The fee to file an Application for Occupational Drivers License in the Justice Court is $46.  The filing fee is payable by cash, cashier's check or money order payable to Chambers County, or by credit card (convenience fees applicable).

    Driving Record:  You must order a certified abstract of your complete driving record (Type AR).  The court cannot consider granting an occupational driver's license without this record.  A certified 3-year history record (Type 2A or Type 3A) will not be sufficient, you must request Type AR.  DPS Form DR-36 is available below or can be found on the Texas Dept. of Public Safety site:

    Evidence of Financial Responsibility:  In addition to the Certified Abstract of your Driving Record, you must provide evidence of financial responsibility (insurance) in accordance with the Texas Motor Vehicle Safety Act, Chapter 601, Texas Transportation Code.  The court cannot consider granting an Occupational DL without this proof.

    Important Links:
  • * Texas Rent Relief Program (Coronavirus) *
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • Chambers County JP Precinct Map
  • Chambers County Constables
  • DADAP Online - Drug & Alcohol Awareness Program
  • Lone Star Legal AidProvides Free Advocacy, legal representation and community education.
  • OMNI / FTA Program - Unable to Renew drivers license
  • The People's Lawyer
  • Texas Association of Counties - Websites
  • Texas DPS Online - Driver Records
  • Texas DPS - Driver Responsibility Program(Points/Surcharges)
  • Texas Justice Court Training Center - Provides information, forms and links for self-represented litigants
  • Texas Law Help - Online Resource for Variety of Issues
  • Texas Legislature Online - Texas Statutes
  • Ticket Help Texas Toolkit - Explains the process and options
  • State Bar of Texas - Pamphlets for Public

    It is each parties responsibility to file the correct number of copies needed.  The COURT, gets the original document, and there should be a copy for the Plaintiff and one for EACH defendant.  If you want file stamped copies returned to you by mail, YOU must provide a SELF-ADDRESSED, STAMPED ENVELOPE.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    About the Office:  
    The justices of the peace are elected for a term of four years from each justice precinct in the county. The justices of the peace are the presiding officers of the justice courts, the small claims courts (up to $20,000.00), and have jurisdiction over minor misdemeanor offenses (Class C). They also have jurisdiction in civil matters where the amount in controversy does not exceed $20,000.00. A variety of civil processes, as well as arrest and search warrants, can be issued by the justices of the peace.

    The justices of the peace may also preside over hearings pertaining to suspension of driver licenses and conduct other hearings and inquests. The J.P.'s may conduct marriage ceremonies and serve as ex officio notary publics for the precinct.
    Other duties and responsibilities include:
    • Rendering judgments;
    • Ordering sheriff or constables to summon jurors;
    • Administering oaths to the officers;
    • Excusing jurors;
    • Entering fines against defaulting jurors;
    • Issuing writs of sequestration, garnishment, and attachments within the limits of jurisdiction;
    • Questioning witnesses or parties;
    • Keeping criminal dockets of trials;
    • Issuing warrants for arrest for criminal offenses committed in his presence and which he has jurisdiction to try;
    • Receiving complaints of offenses which he has jurisdiction to try;
    • Issuing writs to summon jurors for criminal matters in which a jury trial is desired;
    • Taking sworn statements from witnesses;
    • Receiving applications for and issuing distress warrants;
    • Conducting marriage ceremonies;
    • Ordering autopsies as requested by the district attorney or county attorney; and
    • Numerous other tasks.

    The justices of the peace also have various other duties related to the judicial function, such as:
    • Having jurisdiction over misdemeanor violations of the Cosmetology Act;
    • Having jurisdiction to hold hearings to determine if driver's licenses should be revoked or suspended and reports the finding to the Department of Public Safety;
    • Conducting hearings to determine whether probable cause existed for the towing and storage of a motor vehicle without the owner's consent;
    • Conducting hearings concerning financial responsibility under the Safety Responsibility Law;
    • Administering and certifying oaths and affidavits;
    • Receiving referrals for inquests into causes of death;
    • Permitting the taking of body parts and tissue for transplant or other therapy (Only under certain conditions);
    • Receiving complaints from attendance officers for violations of compulsory school attendance laws;
    • Ordering the sale of seized perishable goods, when necessary; and
    • Numerous other tasks.
    Justices of the Peace may perform marriage ceremonies and the Judges would be honored to perform your ceremony.  Please contact a specific Judge for information about availability, scheduling and fees, which may vary depending on date, time and location of the ceremony.

    Copyright © 2018 All rights reserved.

    powered by ezTaskTitanium TM